Professional Development Center for Educators
Reading and writing are the gateways to knowledge.
The PDCE literacy team helps K-12 teachers develop challenging, interesting curriculum that is critical for students to graduate college and be career ready. When schools and districts partner with us they receive support in
- Implementing best practices in English Language Arts instruction
- Designing flexible assessment systems
- Integrate reading and writing across content areas
- Aligning instruction with the Common Core State Standards
- Meeting the needs of children learning English and students with disabilities
Our experienced team will help identify, facilitate, and sustain high quality learning in literacy. To assist our partner schools and districts, the PDCE can provide
- Presentations and institutes about evidence-based practices in literacy;
- Coaching support for teachers in using evidence-based practices in literacy;
- Design and implementation support for response to intervention initiatives;
- Training and coaching for small-group foundational skills instruction;
- Training and coaching for genre-based writing instruction;
- Training and coaching for knowledge-building read alouds;
- Support for principals observing and providing feedback about literacy instruction;
- Support for implementation of Bookworms Reading and Writing; and
- Design and support for professional book studies.
Book Studies in Differentiated Literacy Instruction
The OER Bookworms curriculum, co-developed by Sharon Walpole, has helped improve reading skills for students in Delaware and beyond.
Our team partners with the Dept. of Education to support the implementation of CCSS through the Reading and Writing Project and other initiatives.
We support teachers through co-planning, co-teaching, modeling, and video playback.