Saturday Math Program
Do you want your daughter or son to LOVE math? Do you want your child to be challenged with fun, hands-on tasks and activities? Does your child like math and want to improve his/her skills?
The College of Education and Human Development’s Professional Development Center for Educators offers a series of 6-week Saturday Math sessions, an enriching experience that makes learning math enjoyable.
Content of Sessions: Each class of Saturday Math will feature several Number Talks – these are 10-minute math routines designed to help your child build their procedural fluency, master math facts, and think flexibly about numbers.
Children in grades K-1 will focus on enhancing their problem solving. In grades 2-3, children will work to build their number sense and conceptual understanding of numbers and operations. In grades 4-6, children will experience and create different representations of mathematical situations to deepen their understanding of the underlying mathematical connections between fractions, decimals, and percent.
Eligibility: Only students in grades Kindergarten through 6 are eligible.
Schedule: There are three 6-week sessions held during the year, each with three time options.
- Session I – October 8, 15, 22, 29, November 5, 12 CLOSED
- Session II – January 7, 14, 21, 28, February 4, 11 CLOSED
- Session III – February 18, 25, March 4, 11, 18, 25 Click here to register online
- 8:30 am – 10:00 am
- 10:15 am – 11:45 am
- 12:00 pm – 1:30 pm
Location: Sessions are held on the CEHD Children’s Campus in The College School, located at 459 Wyoming Road. The building is located at the back of the property. For further directions, please visit the University of Delaware map website .
Cost: Tuition is $80 per student per six week session. Payment must accompany application. Fees will be returned promptly to students if we are unable to accommodate at a given time/session.
Registration: Registration is CLOSED
Refund: Any student who withdraws from the course on or before the Wednesday preceding the first class meeting will receive an unconditional refund of $80. If withdrawal occurs after this date but on or before the Wednesday immediately following the first class meeting, $55 will be refunded provided a replacement can be found for that student. No refund will be made if the course is dropped after the Wednesday following the first class meeting.
- Kathleen Giordano has been with the program for more 31 years and has 32 years of successful teaching in Delaware and New Jersey schools. She teaches the youngest students in the Saturday Math program to really get them excited and confident about learning!
- Karen Fredricks has been an enthusiastic teacher with the Saturday Math program for more than 12 years. She is a Nationally Board Certified Teacher with 35 years of teaching experience in grades 1-8 in the Christina School District. Karen is an amazing teacher who was recently honored as the recipient of the Presidential Award for Excellence in Math & Science for the state of Delaware! She teaches students in the second to fourth grade range in the Saturday Math program..
- Dr. Faith Muirhead, Associate Director, Professional Development Center for Educators